As part of a little series on betaflight 3.5.1, I’m building out an overview of the settings that I’m using and why
If you’re interested in simply seeing the full, flat out dump, see here:
Step By Step through Settings
- Rate Settings
- These are my race rates! 1.03/.66 RC/Super on all axis.
- Fun Fact: this is “ratebank 2” on the DRL Racer3s
- 606 DPS
- PID settings
- in generaly P and D have been turned up, with a couple ticks of I increased from default. I found that default PIDs flew great, but I wanted it just a little bit tighter. I noticed especially on the roll axis that it was a little loose, so I tuned up the overall PIDs just a little bit \
- For the Yaw axis, I borrowed a suggestion from Bardwell that suggested a low P, high I, and zero D, with a higher FF setting than default. I haven’t played around with this too much, but it does feel very solid and I’m very happy with it.
- Feed Forward Settings
- This is where the magic of BF 3.5.1 starts for me. I run 150 on pitch and roll, and I run a low-P yaw variant, explained above
- At default (60), I found that the feel of the quad was much less stiff than I wanted it to be. Initially I turned it up only 20, but I started to notice big gains when I got into the 100 range for the FF settings on P/R. Up at 150, the drone feels insanely locked in, with what seems like zero negative impact from any bounceback or such nonsense, as is the worry when you increase the F vaule too far.
- If you’re interested in learning more about why I’ve increased these settings so high, please view my blog explaining in further detail
- Feedforward Transition
- NONE! This essentially makes it so that the feed forward settings we’re adding don’t impact the drone until they’re X% of the way through the stick movement, which, basically undoes the movement that you’re asking it to do.. which is silly.
- Throttle Boost
- I haven’t played with this too much, but it definitely seems to make the quad have more top-end than it used to, so I would encourage you to play with it.
- Absolute Control
- Haven’t really found an explanation for this, and I have left it default
- I Term Rotation
- Left Default
- Smart Feedforawrd
- Leave default — for FPV Racing, this setting should be left off. It’s likely to not even be left in Betaflight.
- I Term Relax
- Basically helps support Feed Forward “ignore” the i term, and send your stick commands through to the sticks. Leave on RP for sure, consider having on Y if you fly yaw heavy (I do not).